These Linzer Cookies are such a classic Christmas cookie that I can’t imagine Christmas without them! You can change the flavor of the jelly for different variations.
I absolutely love these Linzer Cookies. They are a delicate cookie with finely chopped almonds in the dough that make for delicious cookies to melt in your mouth. I’ve made a short cut version, but these are the traditional way to make them. My aunt makes Linzer Cookies every year and I always look forward to them. They are one of my very favorite Christmas cookies.
These cookies are part of a Virtual Christmas Cookie Exchange. Be sure to check out all the other Christmas Cookie Recipes after my recipe. You will have enough cookie recipes to fill your cookie jar all holiday season! Be sure to pour a nice glass of milk to go with your cookies. Did you know that a lot of people with go without cookies or milk this year? You can help with that! Simply go to Santa’s Milk Drive and donate to your local food bank. You just enter your zip code which ensures your donation is staying in your community. This is part of the Great American Milk Drive and I hope you can help out this holiday season!
- 1¼ cup butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1½ cups almonds, ground
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp. strawberry jelly or jelly of your choice
- Garnish: powdered sugar
- Blend butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in almonds (I just put my almonds in a food processor and pulse until finely ground), cinnamon, and flour.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the dough at a time to ⅛ inch thick. Cut out 24 circles with a 2½ inch round cookie cutter. Cut out centers of circles with a ½ inch mini cookie cutter; leave the remaining circles uncut.
- Place one inch apart on baking sheets.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Thinly spread jelly over solid circles; sprinkle cut cookies with powdered sugar and sandwich over jelly.
Caramel Filled Chewy Ginger Cookies from 365 Days of Slow Cooking
Italian Anisette Cookies from A Family Feast
Cranberry Orange Nut Cookies from Apron Strings
Orange Cranberry White Chocolate Stuffed Cookies from Barbara Bakes
Soft Pumpkin Cookies + Pumpkin Spice Kisses from Bless this Mess
Soft Maple Sugar Cookies from Crumbs and Chaos
Graham Cracker Log from Hoosier Homemade
Rugelach Bars from Let’s Dish
Pepper Jelly Cornmeal Thumbprints from Letty’s Kitchen
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies from Love from the Oven
Linzer Cookies from Mandy’s Recipe Box
Surprise-inside Christmas Stocking from Munchkin Munchies
Chocolate M&M Cookies from Oh, Sweet Basil
White Chocolate Pecan Snowball Cookies from Rose Bakes
Chocolate Toffee Cranberry Cookies from Taste and Tell
White Chocolate Cherry Almond Bars from Your Homebased Mom
Spiced Eggnog Cookies from Will Cook for Smiles