My friend insisted that I try her recipe for French toast and I thought to myself, “What’s so different about this French toast? I mean everyone has a recipe for French toast, right?”
But THIS French toast has an entire 1/4 cup of vanilla in the coating sauce. So when it’s cooked it kind of tastes like…a donut…in French toast form.
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup vanilla (yes, CUP!)
- 1½ teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- thick sliced bread
- Mix the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, almond extract, and cream well.
- Dip each slice in the mixture coating each side and lay in a pan.
- Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Let bread sit overnight.
- In the morning, cook on grill or skillet with some butter, browning on both sides.
- Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and maple syrup.