Thick Fudge Brownies start with 2 boxed mixes, but end up way better. And the frosting? Goodness. It’s so perfect with the brownies that I insist they go together for the rest of the days.
Thick Fudge Brownies
Author: Mandy Bird
- 2 boxes (about 20 oz. each) brownie mix (I used one milk chocolate and one dark chocolate)
- 1½ sticks butter, melted (12 Tbsp.)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ sticks of butter (12 Tbsp.)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- 5½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray or line a 9x13 pan with foil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brownie mixes, melted butter, buttermilk,eggs and vanilla; mix with a wooden spoon until completely mixed.
- Pour into pan and bake 45-60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out with crumbs, but not batter.
- Prepare frosting by melting the butter in a saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the cocoa powder and milk.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens and just starts to boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Pour over cooled brownies and spread quickly.
- Let set before cutting brownies. You can put them in the fridge to quicken the set up.
- Makes very thick brownies so a little piece goes a long ways!