Strawberry season is here.
At least in my area. And I am in heaven. I love this time of year. I’ve already made jam and the jars look so pretty on my shelf.
I’ve also made smoothies and I’ve just started using chia seeds and kefir in them and I love the healthy benefits they provide. Plus you can’t even taste them. My little Emma loves when I make smoothies using strawberries, chia seeds, kefir, ice, greek yogurt and a little sweetener. It’s so good and so good for us. I found the chia seeds at Costco and the Kefir at Winco. Now onto this pretty recipe.
1 box 18.25 oz) vanilla cake mix
1/3 C. butter, softened
2 eggs, divided
3 C. sliced strawberries
8 oz. cream cheese
1/3 C. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 9×13 with cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine butter, one egg and cake mix. Mixture will be stiff. I used my hands to combine the dough.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture for topping and set aside.
- Press the remaining mixture in the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, slice the strawberries into approx 1/4″ slices.
- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and remaining egg until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over top the partially baked crust.
- Evenly arrange the sliced strawberries over the cream cheese mixture and the sprinkle with remaining crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set and crumbs on top turn golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack and chill at least 30 minutes before serving.
Note: I liked these the day I made them better than the leftovers. Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers you have.
Recipe Source: Cookies and Cups