Hey everyone! It’s Kelly back from Life Made Sweeter again! Hope 2015 has been a great year so far for you all! It’s already going by way too quickly for me – I mean can you believe it’s almost the end of January??? Before you know it, Valentine’s Day will be here!
So to help you get started on your V-Day planning, today I’m sharing these Red Velvet Almond Joy Gooey Cake Bars. They are not only easy to whip up, they also make a super indulgent treat perfect for any special occasion!
These delicious bars start with your favorite red velvet cake mix that you whip up with a few simple ingredients. You layer the soft dough with some shredded coconut and sweet chocolate chips.
While they bake, you mix the remaining shredded coconut with almond slivers and sweetened condensed milk and spread the delicious layer over the cooled bars.
Then to top it all off, add a sprinkle of almond slices, chocolate chips and toasted coconut. And to make them pretty and festive — toss on a few heart sprinkles 🙂
Red Velvet meets Almond Joy in gooey cake bars makes these the ultimate decadent treat for Valentine’s Day!
- 1 box of Red Velvet Cake Mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- ½ cup of butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 (14 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- 2½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- ¾ cup almond slivers
- 1¼ cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Additional toppings for garnish
- almond slices
- toasted coconut
- chocolate chips
- sprinkles if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9x9 square pan with parchment paper or a lightly greased sheet of foil with a slight overhang. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cake mix, softened butter, egg and vanilla extract until a soft dough forms. Press the dough into prepared pan. The dough will be sticky so it will help to use an angled spatula to spread evenly and flat. Sprinkle the top with ½ cup of shredded coconut and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 27-30 minutes or until the top is completely baked. Allow to cool completely before frosting and cutting.
- Meanwhile, mix together the remaining 2 cups of coconut, almond slivers and sweetened condensed milk. Spread evenly over cooled bars.
- Top with almond slices, toasted coconut and chocolate chips. Place in the fridge to allow coconut layer to set for at least 30 minutes. Lift cake out of pan using the overhang and slice into bars. Garnish with sprinkles if desired. Makes around 16 squares.
Thanks for letting me share here with you again today!
You can stay connected with Kelly here: