Hello again! Renee from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures back sharing one of my family favorite recipes with you, Pistachio Cake with Marshmallow Frosting. Box cake mix gets all dressed up in green (thanks to a box of instant pistachio pudding) and is frosted with a gorgeous marshmallow frosting!
This cake is an oldie but a goodie. A retro recipe if ever there was one. My mom has been making this cake for as long as I can remember. My mom is not much of a baker and never has been, but this was always one thing she would make for gatherings and potlucks and everyone always seemed to love it! We’ve always just called it “Green Cake” for the lovely green interior.
It’s a very easy cake to make. It starts with a boxed yellow cake mix, so there is little room for error. It’s moist and rich and, like I said, the most beautiful shade of green! I’m not one of those people who refuse to use boxed cake mixes. In fact, I’ve found they make a wonderful base for all sorts of fun flavors and, with the addition of a few extra ingredients, end up tasting more like a “made from scratch” cake then the boxed cake mix that it is. I love to bake from scratch too…so I guess I can go both ways!
My mom always just dusted her cakes with a little powdered sugar, but I thought I’d kick it up a notch and frost it with some marshmallow frosting topped with chopped pistachios. My husband actually requested this cake for his birthday this year, so this cake was his birthday cake!
The marshmallow frosting holds it shape wonderfully and is the brightest shade of white you will ever see! Honestly, very difficult to photograph! But it really made for a gorgeous looking cake that was so easy to make.
Have you ever made pistachio cake? If you have, is the recipe similar or the same as my moms?
Pistachio Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
Moist and rich "green cake" flavored with pistachios and topped with a marshmallow frosting. Ingredients.
Author: Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- For cake:
- 1 - 15.25 oz. yellow cake mix
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil (or other non-flavored oil)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 - 3.4 oz. box of instant pistachio flavored pudding mix
- ¼ cup water
- For Frosting:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 TBS water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 - 7 oz. jar marshmallow creme
- chopped pistachios, for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 10" bundt pan with cooking spray with flour added (such as Baker's Joy).
- In a large bowl, combine all the cake ingredients with an electric mixer on low until combined and beat for 1-2 minutes on high, until it is a nice fluffy batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top with spatula. Bake in preheated oven for 50- 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove to wire rack and cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert onto serving platter and allow to cool completely before frosting OR you can dust with powdered sugar if you prefer.
- While cake is cooling, make frosting by combining the ½ cup granulated sugar with the 1 TBS of water in a large, heavy sauce pan. Add in the egg whites and begin heating over a low heat. With an electric mixer (being careful to not let cord touch flame or heating element) begin to beat the mixture on HIGH speed until soft peaks form. (2 - 3 minutes or so)
- Remove pan from heat and add in marshmallow creme. Beat on HIGH speed with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Frost the cake ( you will probably have extra frosting) and garnish with chopped pistachios, if desired.
Frosting recipe adapted from The Cake Doctor by Anne Byrn
Try these recipes that also start with a boxed cake mix!
Like what you see? Follow RKA on all these social networks!!