These Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich Cookies are perfect for after-school, packed in lunches or just anytime you want a yummy treat. The soft peanut butter cookies will have you hooked!
Did you grow up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Being from Australia, I can’t say that I did, vegemite was our family’s go-to spread. But I am officially part of the peanut butter and jelly fan club now, so I need to start making up for lost time. I am an avid cookie lover, so these are right up my alley. So much better than those hard-as-a-rock cookies you buy from the supermarket, these are soft and tender. I LOVE soft baked cookies. Especially ones made with peanut butter.
- 115 grams (1 stick or ½ cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 and ½ cup plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until combined.
- Beat in the egg and the vanilla until smooth and creamy. Stir in the peanut butter.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda and gently mix together with a wooden spoon or spatula until it forms a dough.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- While the dough is chilling, line two baking trays with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 360 degrees F.
- Roll the dough into balls and place onto the baking trays. Use a fork lightly dusted with flour to make a criss cross pattern on the top of the cookies.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown. If you like your cookies a little more crunchy, leave them in for a minute or two longer.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and leave to cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Once the cookies have cooled completely, smear a teaspoon of strawberry jam onto one and sandwich another on top.
- The cookies with jam are best eaten immediately. Keep the cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.