Ever since these were linked up on Totally Tasty Tuesdays a few weeks ago, I knew I had to make them.
I love the Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies. They are the only Little Debbie treat that I like. Something about their chocolate is too waxy to me.
But I could eat these cookies all day long.
I made a few adjustments and they are pretty good.
Not the same as Little Debbie’s, but they would do when I get the craving and I don’t have any in my pantry.
1 c. margarine or butter
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbsp. molasses
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. Kosher (coarse) salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. quick oats
2 tsp. very hot water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 (7 oz.) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 c. shortening
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs. Add the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix in the oats.
- Drop by just-under-a-Tablespoon onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until just starting to brown around the edges. They will look moist, do not overcook!
- While the cookies are baking prepare the filling.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the salt in hot water. Allow this to cool. Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a bowl. Mix on high until fluffy.
- Add the cooled salt water and mix well. Spread filling on the flat side of one cookie. Top with another cookie flat side down.