This Lime Yogurt Cake recipe is a mix of quick bread and cake. You can eat it with your hands and the yogurt in it gives it a moist texture that everyone loves.
Ever since I’ve discovered Melissa’s, I have fallen in love with their produce. I recently received their Cara Cara Oranges and Sweet Limes. Can I just say those were the best oranges I’ve ever eaten? They were perfectly sweet and my kids ate them like candy. And the limes are not your usually sour limes. They are sweet at first and seem to be a cross between a lemon and lime.
I loved them in this Lime Yogurt Cake recipe. I also used lime yogurt in it which gave it a great texture and flavor. My little guy just loved it and patiently waited for mommy to finish taking pictures of it before eating it. Such is the life of a food blogger’s kid. You can have fun with this recipe by switching out the flavors of yogurt and juices in it. I used lime juice in the bread and orange juice in the glaze. Such a great combo.
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup lime yogurt (6 oz size yogurt cup)
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- ⅓ to ½ cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar, more or less according to how sweet you want it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8½-inch by 4½ inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs, vanilla, applesauce, yogurt and lime juice.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake until the top of the loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes for a normal sized loaf and anywhere from 16-25 minutes for muffins or mini loaves.
- While the cake is baking, combine the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer until thickened, a few minutes.
- Remove from heat until the bread is finished baking. When the cake is done, turn it out onto a cooling rack. Pour the warm glaze over the top of the warm cake. Let the cake cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. It will stay moist for 2-3 days at room temperature.