These Lemon Ricotta Dessert Stacks are a fun elegant dessert for the holiday season. At first glance you would think I used puff pastry for the flowers in between the lemon ricotta filling. Wrong. I used flour tortilla’s you buy uncooked and prepare at home. The results are incredible!! The flour tortillas add a light fluffy crunchy texture that goes perfectly with the sweet but tart lemon ricotta filling.
The tortillas can be prepared by frying or baking. I chose to bake mine. They turn out best for this recipe if you poke holes in them with a fork before frying. I also used a fork to press on them while frying so they wouldn’t have bubbles or get too puffy. You can cut down on calories by baking them instead. Again I would recommend poking holes in them with a fork before baking.
Assemby is quick and easy, you can leave them in the fridge covered for up to 24 hours before serving. If you want to get really festive you could add red and green sprinkles and they would like little mini Christmas trees!
- ½ cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 - 3 tbls powdered sugar (use 1 to 3 tbsp depending on how sweet you want your filling to be)
- ¾ tsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 or 2 lemons - I like two lemon zests for extra tartness
- ¼ cup cold heavy cream - for ricotta mixture
- ¼ cup cold heavy cream to fill raspberries and top of dessert cups
- 1 package TortillaLand flour tortillas
- extra powdered sugar for dusting
- fresh raspberries for the top of your dessert cups
- For the Filling
- In a mini food processor or blender combine the ricotta, powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest. Blend well.
- Whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form and fold into the ricotta mixture.
- For the Flour Flowers
- Stack 3 TortillaLand tortillas on a cutting board, use a flower cookie cutter to cut out 5 flowers per dessert cup.
- Use a fork to poke six holes in each flower. Fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Lay on paper towels and blot off excess oil. Allow to cool completly
- For assembly
- Dip the petals of the flowers in powdered sugar.
- Put a spoonfull of lemon ricotta mixture on one flower flour tortilla. Place another flower flour tortilla over the lemon ricotta mixture. Repeat until you have 4 layers.
- Place a small cluster of lemon zest on the top flower flour tortilla, add a dollop of whipped cream.
- Slice a very small piece off the bottom of each raspberry so they will sit evenly on top of your dessert cups. Fill with whip cream and top with a small amount of lemon zest. Place filled raspberry on top of the lemon zest and whipped cream dollop.
- Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.