If you’re looking for a low cal macaroni and cheese recipe, this isn’t it. It’s got cheeeese. So just be prepared for that. It’s total comfort food and absolutely delicious. My kids eat it up when I make it and can you blame them? Cheese and pasta always equals amazing.
Homestyle Mac and Cheese
Author: Mandy Bird
- 2½ cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 cups milk (2% or whole is best)
- 5 cups shredded cheddar cheese (any kind, mild, medium or sharp), divided
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat; stir in flour and salt until smooth.
- Gradually whisk in the milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat and stir in 3 cups of cheese and Worcestershire until melted.
- Drain macaroni and add to cheese sauce.
- Transfer to a 9×9 pan and bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 5-10 minutes more until cheese is melted.
Be sure to follow my All the Sides board on Pinterest for more!