With back-to-school fast approaching, quick breakfasts are a must. This Homemade Instant Oatmeal is just what you need to have on hand. You can add anything you want to suit your taste.
You guys are going to love me for this recipe. I will totally accept “you’re so awesome, Mandy!” emails and gifts. Because if you like instant oatmeal, you are gonna freak the freak out when you see how easy it is to make your own wayyyyy cheaper version. All you need is a blender and large mixing bowl to prepare this homemade instant oatmeal. The secret? Blended oats. Just pulse some of the oats in a blender until powdery. That gives it that thickening that is in store bought instant oatmeal packets.
Once you have your blended oats, you just mix everything else together and add your add-ins like freeze dried fruit, nuts, M&M’s (there’s no judgement here, it’s your life) or whatever you like. Then divide into 1/2 cup portions and place into snack sized bags and you are all set.
All you need to do is grab a bag, dump it into a microwave safe bowl, add your milk or water and heat. So dang awesome for the kids to make on their own. Since strawberries and blueberries are my favorite flavors of instant oatmeal, that’s what I used. My kids love it too!
- 10 cups quick oats
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1-2 cups brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like it.
- 1 cup non-dairy coffee creamer, powder not liquid (regular or vanilla flavored like I did)
- Place 7 cups of the oats in a large bowl. You can do this in separate batches if you don’t have a large enough bowl.
- Place remaining 3 cups of the oats in a blender and blend until powdery. Add to the 7 cups of oats in the bowl.
- Stir in salt, brown sugar and coffee creamer until well combined.
- Store in a large container with a lid or measure out ½ cup portions of the mixture into each snack sized Ziploc bags and seal.
- To make oatmeal: empty 1 “packet” of oatmeal into a bowl and add ¾ cup of water (or milk if you want it extra creamy). Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes. (Microwaves vary, so adjust time if necessary.)