These homemade funfetti cupcakes are an easy version – soft and fluffy vanilla cupcakes loaded with sprinkles and topped with a vanilla buttercream frosting.
Hi friends, it’s Kelly back again from Life Made Sweeter. This month just went by in a flash again and since March is next week, that means it’s the start of birthday season in our family! Every year from March until October, we host and attend a whole bunch of birthday celebrations so today, I’m sharing my favorite homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with you all!
These cupcakes are perfect for birthdays since I can’t think of anything more cheerful and festive than sprinkles. They add a splash of color, fun and happiness to everything and are always a hit with kids.
For this batch, I made mini-sized cupcakes because I find them so much easier and less messy to serve at birthday parties. Plus, mini-sized desserts always look so much more cuter to me but feel free to make these into regular sized cupcakes instead 🙂
They start off with soft, moist and fluffy vanilla cupcakes. I used the rainbow jimmies sprinkles in the cupcake batter since I find they bleed less than nonpareils. Once they’re baked up, we pipe on a smooth and fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting and toss on some more pretty sprinkles.
Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, or any other special occasion, I can’t think of anything more fun and cheerful than these 🙂
- 1 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- ⅓ cup yogurt Greek yogurt or sour cream, room temperature
- ¾ cup milk of your choice, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup rainbow jimmies/sprinkles (not nonpareils)
- Vanilla Buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners or a mini muffin tin with 24 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Remove when warm and whisk in sugar for about 20 seconds. Slowly whisk in egg, then yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly fold in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick. Gently fold in sprinkles, but do not overmix because the color will bleed from the sprinkles.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners.
- For regular cupcakes, bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For mini cupcakes, bake for 8-9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting:
- Using your stand mixer or a hand mixer, beat the softened butter on medium speed for about 4 minutes, until smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add in confectioners’ sugar. Once the confectioners' sugar is fully incorporated, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed for an additional 3 minutes. Switch to low speed and add in vanilla and 1 tablespoon of heavy cream until combined. Switch to medium-high speed and beat until frosting is smooth and fluffy. You can add additional 1-2 tablespoons of heavy cream to reach desired consistency
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.
Thanks for letting me share here with you again today!
You can stay connected with Kelly here: