Egg Muffins are itty bitty omelettes in muffin form. They are great because you can make them any way you like. Just add your favorite vegetables, cheese and/or meats.
Omelettes are delicious. There are so many different versions: Southwestern, Denver, Mushroom and Herb, you name it! These Egg Muffins are the perfect breakfast for eating on the go. Or you can top them with salsa and whatever else you fancy and have a leisurely breakfast/brunch with a side of fruit and orange juice. My kids loved eating them with their hands as is. Make them how you want, but don’t forget the cheese!
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy cream or milk
- ⅓ cup salsa
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot or onion
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, cream or milk and salsa.
- Add shallot or onion, salt, pepper, cottage cheese, shredded cheddar cheese and bacon.
- Mix all together and pour into 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let them sit in the pan for 2 minutes before serving.
- To remove, just slide a knife around the edges of muffins and lift out with a fork.
- Serve with any additional toppings you like (crumbled bacon, salsa, avocados etc)