Growing up, we ate at Taco Maker quite a bit. I always ordered one soft burrito and one crispy burrito. And some Crustos. Those babies were and are my favorite thing on the menu. And guess what? I have a delicious copycat recipe for you.
- Oil for frying
- 6 uncooked tortillas (like these)
- ½ C. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- Pour oil into a large skillet or fryer. If using a skillet, use enough oil to cover tortilla strips, about ¼ to ½ inch deep.
- Heat oil to medium high heat.
- Stack 3 tortillas at a time and cut using a pizza cutter into one inch strips.
- With a small piece of tortilla, test the oil’s heat by dropping it into the pan. If the tortilla immediately starts to fry the oil is ready.
- Carefully drop the tortilla strips into the oil without overlapping. Fry for about a minute per side, flipping with tongs.
- Remove from the oil and let drain briefly on a paper towel.
- Mix together in a bowl the sugar and cinnamon.
- Place still warm strips into the sugar and cinnamon mixture and toss to coat.
These are the uncooked tortillas I like to use. You can find them at Walmart or Costco.