Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins combine two amazing ingredients in one place: coconut and chocolate! These will make for some happy mouths.
Amy from My Name is Snickerdoodle is back with a delicious muffin recipe! I think what I love about most muffins that contain chocolate chips is that I feel like I’m eating a cupcake in the morning and who doesn’t love that?! Chocolate is something that get paired up with some pretty amazing ingredients. And coconut is one of my favorite!
I know some people have an aversion to the actual texture of shredded coconut so that’s why it’s optional in this recipe. My oldest son thinks I’m out to get him if I put shredded coconut in anything. However, we discovered he loves the flavor of it! There is coconut milk and coconut extract to help these muffins out in the flavor department!
They are best served warm, but can be made a head of time and kept in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup coconut milk or whole milk
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- ⅔ cups sweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 2 cups mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar for two minutes on medium
- Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
- In a separate medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another medium bowl mix together sour cream, milk, vanilla and coconut extract.
- Turning your mixer onto low speed, alternate adding in the flour mixture and
- sour cream mixture into the batter.
- Mix until flour is almost fully incorporated.
- Pour shredded coconut and 1½ cups of chocolate chips and mix until completely combined. Do not over mix.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper cups or lightly spray with oil. Fill each tin ¾ full with batter. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack and cool