These Chex Scotcheroos are an addicting treat so beware! They are made with Chex cereal and a whole lot of yum.
I am one who needs desserts. I NEED them. No matter what. There is always room for dessert is basically my mantra. I also hate cooking and baking in the summer. It’s just too hot and the last thing I want to do is be around more heat. Out come the no bake dessert recipes.
These Chex Scotcheroos are so dang good. You can refrigerate them for an even cooler treat. If your house is warm inside, you should keep them refrigerated so the chocolate doesn’t get all melty and messy. These are made with Chex cereal instead of the traditional Rice Krispies cereal. I used Rice Chex but corn would be great, too. Make a batch and watch them disappear.
- 6 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 1½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ cups butterscotch chips
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Butter a large bowl and measure out 6 cups of Chex cereal. Set aside. Butter a 9×13 dish and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the corn syrup and sugar over medium heat. Once boiling, immediately remove from heat and stir in 1½ cups of peanut butter. Pour over the cereal and stir together until cereal is completely coated. Pour cereal mixture into the 9×13 dish and press with your hands to even out. It’s easier than using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Using a microwave safe dish or a double boiler, melt together chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, ½ cup of creamy peanut butter and vanilla. If microwaving, heat in 30 second intervals, stirring in between to prevent the chocolate from burning.
- Once smooth, spread over the cereal with a spatula.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature or place in the fridge.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.