Cherry Chocolate Sheet Cake is made from scratch and irresistible! It’s one cake recipe you will want to make again and again.
Amy from My Name is Snickerdoodle here! One of the big things I enjoy about summertime is all of the fun BBQs together with friends and family! There is always great food, fun games and of course dessert! I’m not one to turn my oven on in the heat of the season, but there are a few desserts I’ll make the exception for. This Cherry Chocolate Sheet Cake is one of them.
It’s baked in a large cookie sheet so it’ always feeds plenty. A perfect dessert for those summer feasts.
I love the addition of tartness the cherries bring to the smooth chocolate flavor. It truly is a classic combination that I just can’t get enough of. Even in the hot summer sun!
- For Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 14oz can cherry pie filling
- For Frosting
- ½ cup butter
- 5 TBSP milk
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- For cake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix together flour and sugar and baking soda.
- In a medium sauce pan bring butter, cocoa and water together to a boil.
- Pour over flour and mix together.
- Add in milk, eggs and vanilla and blend well.
- Fold in cherry pie filling.
- Pour into a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- For frosting
- While the cake is baking, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and add in cocoa.
- Stir in milk and almond extract.
- Add in powdered sugar until well blended.
- Pour over warm cake.
- Cool for 20 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with whipped cream and maraschino cherries.