Browned Butter Banana Muffins have such and incredible flavor thanks to the browned butter. You will want to make these again and again.
Remember my new love for browned butter? I used it for the first time in these Browned Butter Blondies and immediately fell in love. I decided to try it in banana muffins this time around and I still love the stuff! I could eat the brown bits with a spoon. For real. There is just a subtle flavor of the browned butter in these muffins. But it gives the muffins a richer flavor. I also used coconut sugar. It’s such an amazing product! It’s my new crush. Plus you can find it in many grocery stores. It can be used straight across as a sub for white and/or brown sugar. I also added a streusel topping but you can leave that off if you want. I don’t know why you would want to but that’s your prerogative.
Browned Butter Banana Muffins
Author: Mandy Bird
- 7 Tbsp. butter
- ⅓ C. milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1½ C. flour
- ½ C. coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- ¼ C. brown sugar
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1½ Tbsp. butter, cold and cut into pieces
- ¼ C. flour
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once melted let it cook 5 more minutes until browned with brown flecks in it. Remove and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk milk, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Add the brown butter and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt.
- Gently fold in mashed bananas.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups lined with cupcake liners.
- To make the topping, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a pastry cutter or fork until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the batter in the muffin cups.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
- Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from pan and serve warm with butter.