Fresh blueberries are such a treat. I love eating them plain or baking with them, obviously. They are so good for you and are a great alternative for gummy fruit snacks for kids. My kids eat them up so fast that I have to fight them off when baking with them! You need this cake.
Blueberry Buttermilk Cake
Author: Mandy Bird
- 2¾ cups cake flour*
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 4 Tbsp. softened butter
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with baking spray.
- Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, in a medium bowl, mix together the sugar and butter for about 3 minutes. Add eggs and beat until combined.
- Add buttermilk, vanilla and applesauce and beat well.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan; bake cake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
You can make your own cake flour with the recipe from Joy the Baker.