This Berry Galette is a free form pie that’s baked on a baking sheet. It’s really easy to make and everyone will love it!
A galette is a free form pie or cake. This is a pie made on a sheet cake pan. Add pie filling or fruit to the center and then the edges are folded over themselves to make a flat rustic looking pie. Add an egg wash and sprinkling of sugar and you’re done. It’s really hard to mess it up. Try it and see!
I love making this. I don’t do too well at crust pies. I’ve tried every recipe that’s supposed to be the best and easiest and fool proof. No matter what, it just doesn’t work out when I try to place it into the pie plate. I will keep trying but in the mean time, galettes are my fave! They are so forgiving and if you mess them up a little, you can just say it’s rustic. That fixes everything.
- one uncooked pie crust, store bought or homemade
- 16 oz strawberries cut into small pieces
- 11 oz blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 egg
- extra sugar for crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Allow store bought pie crust to sit on the counter while you prepare the filling. If using homemade dough, roll into a circle and place onto greased jelly roll pan or one that is lined with a silicone baking mat. For store bought crust, unroll and place onto jelly roll pan as you would the homemade crust.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the strawberries and blueberries with the cornstarch and sugar. Stir to coat.
- Place in the center of the pie crust leaving room around the edges to fold.
- Bring the edges up over part of the fruit filling, overlapping them as needed until all the edges have been brought up around the fruit. Gently press together the areas where the crust overlaps to help ensure that they stay up around the fruit.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg with a fork. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges with egg.
- Sprinkle some sugar over the egg and filling.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve. You can top it with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream before serving if desired.
Be sure to save this to your favorite Pinterest boards!