1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup applesauce (sweetened or unsweetened)
3/4 cup sugar
2 whole eggs and 4 egg whites
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
4 overripe bananas
Brown Butter Glaze:
1/4 cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Mix butter, applesauce, sugar, eggs and egg whites.
- Add flour and baking soda. Mix again.
- Add bananas and mix until combined.
- Place batter into a gallon sized ziploc bag and snip off about 1/2 in of a corner. Pipe into donut pan or muffins tins about 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F 7-9 minutes for donuts and 18-20 minutes for muffins, until done. They should spring back when touched or a toothpick inserted should come out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- For the Glaze: melt the butter in a saucepan and then let cook 5 more minutes until brown flecks appear.
- Add powdered sugar and milk a Tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Add vanilla.
- Working quickly, dip each donut top into the glaze and place back on wire rack. The glaze with set fast.
- Enjoy about 18 donuts.
You may like these donut recipes as well:
Or these from my friends: