It’s really starting to feel like Fall out there now. The days and nights are getting cooler and shorter and the leaves have just started to show some real color. To me, Fall time means apple time! Living in Northeast Ohio, apple orchards are plentiful and the harvest starts to show up on road side stands and in farmer’s markets all over the area. You don’t have to go far to find a fresh apple! With all the fresh apples everywhere, I had to pick up a bag or two! When I found this apple recipe on Allrecipes, I decided to give it a try.
You can finish these cuties off with a little whipped cream, like pictured, or leave them plain. It really doesn’t matter, they are delicious both ways!
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 TBS unsalted butter
- 1-15 oz. package of refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 pound apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- whipped topping, if desired
- Combine 6 TBS brown sugar, walnuts, flour, and salt in a small bowl. With fingers, cut in the butter until the mixture is like coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray 18 wells of regular sized muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Open out pie crust and roll into a 13 inch circle on lightly floured surface. Trim edges to make a 10½ inch square. Cut into 9 equal square pieces. Repeat with other pie crust so that you have 18 small squares. Discard trimmed pieces.
- Press each square into the muffin wells. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine the apples with 1 - 2 TBS brown sugar (depending on sweetness of apple you may need less), cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Place about a ¼ cup apple mixture into each crust. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle each "pie" with reserved crumb topping and return to oven for another 8 - 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, top with whipped topping, if desired.
|Smoked Gouda, Apple and Bacon Quesadillas|